|Mold growth showing up 4 days after putting in tray.|
|Fuzzy white mold.|
|Tweezing out mold growth.|
|Jar of sprouts culled for mold.|
It may be weird, but I put all the culled sprouts into a container and doused them with a strong solution of distilled white vinegar and water. The intention was that I would be able to see if the vinegar had any effect on the mold.
The next day, I was still culling sprouts for mold growth. In fact, I was culling more! I decided to try adding vinegar directly to the tray. I would have bleached, knowing that it kills mold well (in theory), but being so close to feeding (6 days since first starting the seeds), I didn't feel that bleach was safe. I filled a spray bottle with white vinegar, and my watering routine became: cull, flood, drain, spritz.
I had much less culling to do on the day after that. I'm not sure if it was the vinegar or the near-OCD culling that did it, but we'll see how things go with the next batch.
|Day 8 culls were much less than Day 7.|